DMI IN AFRICA
St. Joseph University in Tanzania (SJUIT) is a full-fledged University recognized by The Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU) in its order no:29 dated 21st December, 2011. The history dates back to the dynamic, amazing and untiring efforts of our Founder Chairman and Chancellor Rev. Fr. Dr. J. E. Arul Raj who founded the Daughters of Mary Immaculate (DMI) and Collaborators in a remote village in India in the year 1984.Inspired by Christian Biblical virtues and devotion he spearheaded the team to accomplish the task of service to the most downtrodden by taking several charity and development activities, doing yeoman service in villages and remote areas.Loving God in serving the poor to be Fully Human and Fully Alive is the Charism of the Society. Today DMI serves more than 500,000 women, 10,000+ students at College level, 8,000+ students at School level and 35,000+ Children, under its care.
The DMI and its Collaborators came to Tanzania as missionaries in the year 2003, on the invitation of the Cardinal Polycarp Pengo, Arch Diocese of Dar es Salaam. The far sighted vision of the Founder Rev. Fr. Dr. J. E. Arul Raj, the missionary zeal of DMIs, Dr. T. X. A. Ananth, Director for International Operations, assisted by Mr. Ignatius A. Herman, the Director for Education, by their invaluable service toiled hard to make the African Mission a success. Within a short span of time the small group has turned into a formidable big organization. The DMI and its Collaborators have spread its wings in other East African countries by establishing the DMI-St. Eugene University in Zambia, DMI-St. John the Baptist University in Malawi and are to launch and ignite knowledge and spread its mission in Ethiopia and South Sudan.
The Group currently has two Institutions in Tanzania, namely:
1. St. Joseph University College of Engineering and Technology (SJUCET), Dar es Salaam.
2. St. Joseph College of Health Sciences (SJCHS), Boko, Dar es Salaam
Apart from promoting the Higher Education in the Country, the Sisters of DMI serve to uplift the livelihood of rural women through Self Help Groups (SHGs) imparting vocational skills, Entrepreneurial skills, Mother and Child Health care (MCH)and many other life skill programmes. DMI along with Missionaries of Mary Immaculate (MMI) gives new and productive life to the street children through the service of an organization named Child in the Sun (CIS). Today, DMI Group of institutions has become significant in the field of higher education. The parents, sponsors and students are happy and fully satisfied with the quality of education.
DMI GROUP OF INSTITUTIONS / ORGANIZATIONS IN AFRICA
- ST.JOSEPH UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY, (SJCET), DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA.
- ST.JOSEPH COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES, (SJCHS), BOKO, DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA.
- ST.JOSEPH MBWENI HOSPITAL, DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA.
- DMI- ST. EUGENE UNIVERSITY, LUSAKA, ZAMBIA.
- DMI- UNIVERSITY OF JOHN THE BAPTIST, MANGOCHI, MALAWI.
- GOOD SHEPHERD SECONDARY SCIENCE SCHOOL, SONGEA, TANZANIA.
- DMI WOMENS WORLD, DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA.
- CHILD IN THE SUN, DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA.